The Church of Christ in Vulcan is a non-denominational, independent Christian church that is part of a larger family of churches often referred to as the Restoration Movement.
The Vulcan Church of Christ began in 1926, with a well organized evangelistic campaign that made a large impact on the town and surrounding area. The church was organized in the fall and two lots purchased in the first year. A building was dedicated in the spring of 1928. Most ministries were short in the early years but an evangelistic campaign in the early thirties led by James Earl Ladd made a big impact. In the mid thirties E.G. Hansell was called to minister and although serving as a member of parliament for many years of those years had a strong guiding hand on the church. Many students of Alberta Bible College served short ministries. J.H. Deans was also a strong leader.
Later in the forties, fifties and sixties, there were strong ministries with J.H. Chapman and Ron Pelham. There were also others here at that time. Doug Barrie was our minister from the seventies and retired in 2010.
The church has continued to have Sunday morning worship, Sunday school, youth programs, women’s ministries, Bible Studies, and at times special speakers for evangelism and discipleship.
It would be our hope that in the coming days the church could go forth with renewed vision, to spread the wonderful gospel of Jesus Christ, that the life giving message of salvation, would be broadcast and lived out here and have an impact on other parts of the world.